Friday, April 9, 2010

When will God show up?

Have you ever shown up for an appointment only to find out that the other person isn't there or doesn't show up? Many times it's because I messed up the day or the hour, but it can still be frustrating sitting there waiting.

I admit I'm not the most patient person in the world. Just ask my family or the staff at CCM. There are times I wonder if God is going to show up and fix the things that are broken in people's lives. There are times I wonder if I'm on the same page as my Heavenly Father. I especially feel that way when counseling people at church about trials and problems that arise. No one likes going through tough times, fiery trials, or just plain "life". You hear yourself asking a lot of "Whys?".

I love what my Pastor shared recently as part of his daily devotion:

"Yet I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." Psalm 27:13-14

Waiting in this context doesn't mean that you stand around and look at your watch and say, "God, where are You?" Waiting on the Lord means (in Hebrew) to entwine yourself around the Lord like a grapevine winds itself around an arbor, a rose that winds itself around a trellis, or an ivy plant that winds around a pillar. The ivy plant has no strength in itself but from what it hangs onto. The idea here is to entwine yourself around the Lord and gain your strength from Him.

The desperation of the psalmist here is obvious in the New American Standard Bible translation. He says "I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living." He would have just given up unless he knew he would see the goodness of the Lord in all of what he was going through.

"Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." Isaiah 40:31, NASB -
Pastor Mark Martin - Calvary Community Church

Let us all not grow weary in doing good. Let us not fall down and not get back up. God does show up. He's never late, rarely early, but always right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment